Tis the season to be jolly — Being a Filipino, Christmas Season is the most awaited event for the entire year. This is kind of a big deal for us and we are willing to spend the hard-earned money for the past eleven months just to celebrate Christmas extravagantly.
Aside from ‘Simbang Gabi’ or ‘Nine mornings’ — which means literally attending/hearing mass for nine days/mornings, giving tons of gift to friends and relatives cannot be let go on every Christmas party or ‘Kris-Kringle’s’ games. Every year, each one of us will be preparing and participating at least more than one Christmas Party that will be organized even you are composed of only three persons. This year, my friend suggested to do the ‘white elephant’ gifts exchange. Well, this is sort of exchanging gifts but you will have the chance to steal or take away someone’s gifts. Hmmmp. Sounds like a spirit of giving is here! I don’t have a single clue on how this is played. All I know is my friend’s (who happens to be the facilitator) requirement to bring unisex gift with a price of not less than 30 sgd.
So, I asked around what are the Top 10 Unisex Gift Ideas that I could consider to buy — which is something worth fighting for during the actual exchange gift game. When I mean by worth fighting for, it means each and everyone will die over getting the gift.
1. Weighing Scale. Well, even not everyone is weight conscious. Still, weighing scale can be used by both male or female to check their weight of course. But, there’s another use of this thing — whenever you’re going for a travel or tour and you wanna be penalized by excess baggage, you need to ensure that it will not exceed the 20 kg allowed luggage capacity. This gift is perfect for you.
2. Electronic Toothbrush. It’s quite rare that we use electronic toothbrush. Maybe, for those lazy-bones who find moving your arm sideways, up or down, is extensively getting a lot of energy when brushing your teeth, you probably consider paying 40-dollar tool of easing this difficulty. For someone who’s going to receive this gift, this feels like an arm holiday!
3. Towel. Honestly, I found this a little boring gift to receive. But then, if you pair this with bathroom slippers, it can be considered. Better than not to get a gift, right?
4. Vouchers. This is the most safe gift I could think of. Literally, this is telling the person, “Hey, I’m quite lame in buying gifts, just go to the shopping mall and buy it yourself.” Or, you can translate this as, “I’m giving you a leeway to choose whatever you want, Here’s the 30 dollars.”
5. Headphones. Since the creation of Walkman by Sony up to iPod by Apple, headphones or headsets become pretty considerable gift to give. Nowadays, headphones can go as cheap as they can be, which normally lasts for couple of months. You can find expensive one too, which will promise you a high-end amplifier on your ears like what Sennheiser are manufacturing.
6. Travel Pillow. When the budget airfare immersed and travel package deals went 50% cheaper than it used to be, everyone now can go travel anywhere they want. Normally, we sleep during the flight — but of course, what do you expect from a budget airline but to feel uncomfortable with their semi-soft cushion and narrow leg room. The best solution to this is to get a TRAVEL PILLOW.
7. Mouse/Other Laptop Accessories. I love buying PC accessories. You will be amazed on various accessories that people creatively can think of. Some of them are plainly unnecessary and total wastes of money. But, these are sometimes required to respond with the advance life of being virtually integrated specie of modernization.
8. External hard disk. USB is totally out. If you don’t own a 250 GB external HD, you are totally belong to old school. We want to be as organized as possible and store all the pictures, music and downloaded movies in one pocket-sized organizer. Actually, it doesn’t guarantee to be organized. That is based on my personal experience.
9. Thermos. For coffee lovers and those who love drinking hot coffee or tea, thermos is best gift for you. But, I like coffee to be cold so I can drink it bottoms-up.
10. Wine/Vodka/Alcoholic Drink. Who doesn’t want to celebrate during this Christmas season, with a toss of cold breeze? A bottle of wine can be a good idea as a present.